|(397 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Situated on 628 acres (2.54 km²) three miles (5 km) north of [[ Lima State Hospital| downtown Lima, the hospital]] was constructed between 1908 and 1915. Built at a cost of $2. 1 million, it was the largest poured-concrete structure in the country until superseded by the Pentagon. Its walls are at least 14 inches thick, with steel reinforcement going right down to bedrock. |+|
|Body= of [[State Hospital |]] and . of . in the , to .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.