|(401 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
coloradostate1920. png |+|
|Body= The [[
Colorado State Hospital| Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo]] opened as the Colorado State Insane Asylum on October 23, 1879 on 40 acres of land in northwest Pueblo donated by George M. Chilcott, Colorado's first United States senator. On that date, 11 patients were admitted , nine males and two females from 12 different counties of the state. In 1917, the insane asylum was renamed the Colorado State Hospital. |+|
|Body= The [[State Hospital |]] the in . , ,patients were admitted of the , was the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.