|(402 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Cobourg Asylum| The Ontario Hospital]] opened in 1921 in the old Victoria College building with all its patients being female. It operated as a Mental Hospital and had a resident population of approximately 530. The focus was on care rather than treatment and training. In 1968 the Mental Hospitals Act came into effect and from that point on the hospital only admitted the mentally handicapped. |+|
|Body= [[|Hospital]] in in the patients as of . . the and that the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.