|(415 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
coton1. png |+|
In 1872, [[ Coton Hill Asylum| The asylum]] was built by Lord Talbot in 1854 as an insane institution for the rich. It cost thirty thousand pounds, and was renovated two years later for twenty thousand pounds. The building stood in grounds of 30 acres, and was designed by Fulljames & Waller of Gloucester in a Gothic style. Originally it was built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. |+|
|Body= [[|]] by in the . ,. in , and was a to the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.