|(614 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
|Body= The hospital
's main building was built in 1817 as the Fayette Hospital, originally intended to house the area's poor & mentally ill. [[ Eastern State Hospital Lexington| Eastern State Hospital in Lexington]] , KY was established by a legislative act of Dec. 4, 1822 & was now operated by the state. In 1824 it admitted it's first patient and added 2 additional wings in 1825, then two more 4 years later. |+|
|Body= The hospital to [[State Hospital |State Hospital]] . by the . In admitted in , .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.