|(417 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Idaho State Hospital for the Insane 1911.jpg |+|
Authorized by state legislature in 1905, [[ Idaho State Hospital North| the hospital accepted]] it's first patients by the fall of that year. The first superintendent was Dr. Givens. Initially there were only twenty patients and five staff. At first the patients were kept in a " tent city" until the main building was finished. Due to it's location, most patients had to be brought in by train. The hospital had a strict military routine including inspections and marching daily. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital |]] by the and . patients were "" the was to patients to be .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.