|(419 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
napsbury2. png |+|
When the new [[ Napsbury Hospital| London County Council]] was established in 1889 it took over several asylums for its own pauper lunatics and the Home Counties were left with fewer places for their patients. As the Middlesex County Council was no longer able to send its patients to the Hanwell or Colney Hatch institutions, it decided to build its own asylum and, in 1898, purchased the freehold of Napsbury Manor Farm, consisting of 412 acres, for the erection of a county mental asylum. |+|
|Body= the [[Hospital |]] in and the were with . the was to patients to the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.