|(422 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Tioga Alms PC1.jpg |+|
Prior to 1866 the poor of [[ Tioga County Almshouse| Tioga County]] were cared for by the various townships and municipalities they resided in throughout the county. On March 12th of that year the county legislature approved the establishment of a county poor farms and almshouse, so 25 acres were purchased from the Caleb Austin farm one and a half miles East of Wellsboro, PA. By 1885 the almshouse property at the time consisted of 180 acres, with 160 being utilized for cultivation. More land purchases increased this total acreage to 315 acres by 1897. |+|
|Body= the of [[|]] by the in the . ,were of . By the , being to .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.