|(426 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Runwell Mental Hospital. png |+|
Following the ending of contracts accommodating patients at the Essex County Council's Brentwood mental hospital , joint facilities were developed between East Ham and Southend-on-Sea boroughs. A site was chosen at [[ Runwell Hospital| Runwell Hall Farm]] , to the east of the town of Wickford and the firm of Elcock and Sutcliffe were chosen as architects to the site, the former having previously designed the new Bethlem Royal Hospital at Monks Orchard. Elcock and Sutcliffe were at the forefront of institutional design and when completed, Runwell was seen as being pioneering development in mental hospital compared to its contemporaries. The hospital opened in June 1937. |+|
|Body= the of the hospital [[Hospital |]] the the and were as the , were and was to .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.