|(433 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
In 1907, New Jersey opened its only [[ New Jersey Sanitorium for Tuberculosis Diseases| state owned and operated sanatorium in Glen Gardner]]. It was intended to be a model institution, providing individual and public health benefits to an expected 500 case annually. Described at the time as “largely educational in character, which would give a practical demonstration of up-to-date methods of treating .. .. tuberculosis”, the facility treated more than 10,000 between 1907 and 1929. |+|
|Body= [[|]] . and the in ,of . . , the facility.
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.