|(441 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
In 1903 the city of Philadelphia purchased farmland in it's northeast section, [[ Philadelphia State Hospital| known as "Byberry"]] , for its city-run farm called "Byberry Farms", which supplied food for public institutions. Shortly after the purchase of the land, six inmates from the overcrowded Blockley Almshouse were chosen to work at the farms. By 1906, Byberry Farms consisted of several small wooden buildings built as temporary dormitories by the growing patient population, housing approximately thirty patients who had been moved from the heavily overcrowded Blockley. |+|
|Body= the of [[State Hospital |]] . the the , were . By , several patients the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.