|(444 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Land was bought by the commonwealth from the Hite family in 1869 to build a state house of reform for juvenile delinquents. In 1873 the Gerneral Assembly authorized it's conversion to the Fourth Lunatic Asylum due to severe overcrowding at Eastern & Western State Hospitals. By 1900 the hospital had been renamed '[[Central State Hospital Louisville|Central Kentucky Asylum for the Insane]]'. |+|
|Body= by the the in of . the to to at the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.