|(464 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
In 1846, construction began on the first [[ Queen Street Mental Health Centre| ‘Provincial Lunatic Asylum’]] on a 50 acre portion of the Garrison Reserve, which was Military property. Designed by architect John George Howard, it was the largest and most modern building in British North America at the time; with its own 12, 000 gallon fresh water tank, flush toilets, and central heating. The 40 foot diameter dome was the highest point in Toronto. It was capped by a cupola as a lookout guarding against potentially renewed attacks (as in the War of 1812) by the American military. |+|
|Body= the [[|]] . by the in the , ,. in . was a the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.