|(465 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
Broadgate air.jpg |+|
Broadgate Hospital]] was built when it became necessary to separate from the agreement with North Riding with whom the Clifton Asylum was shared. The asylum was designed by Charles Henry Howell who was also architect at the Brookwood, Moulsford and Cane Hill asylums. Broadgate was one of the earlier UK asylums to close (in 1987), and services were then combined with those at De la Pole Hospital, in Hull. The buildings were demolished and housing built on the site. |+|
|Body= [[Hospital]] . by the and . ,were with in . were and the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.