|(479 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
HazeltonPA 05.jpg |+|
In 1891, [[ Hazleton State Hospital| Hazleton General Hospital]] was founded to provide medical care to the coal miners of this region. Since that time, health care in the United States and here in Hazleton has changed dramatically. For many years, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania owned our hospital. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital |Hospital]] the in the and in . , the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.