|(481 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
ConnellsvilleSH PA 01.jpg |+|
|Body= The [[
Connellsville State Hospital| Cottage State Hospital at Connellsville]] is built upon land donated by Col. J. M. Reid, the plot containing two acres. Cost of buildings, $24, 292. 35; present value of real estate, $32,000; of personal property, $5, 500. The buildings were transferred to the board of trustees November 20, 1890; first patient was admitted January 30, 1891. |+|
|Body= The [[State Hospital |State Hospital]] by the . , ,. , were to the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.