|(483 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
act for the establishment of this institution passed the General Assembly in 1877. Many cities offered inducements by way of donations, for the location of the new hospital but the site finally selected was a farm of 250 acres near [[ Kankakee State Hospital| Kankakee]], and this was subsequently enlarged by the purchase of 327 additional acres in 1881. |+|
|Body= The General Assembly the of the hospital [[State Hospital |]] ,and was the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.