|(488 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
Front Entrance of Administration.jpg |+|
With the Friend's Almshouse operating since 1713 the city put off construction of it's own facilities until 1732, and the [[ Blockley Almshouse| Philadelphia Almshouse]] was established. Occupying the entire block between Third and Fourth, Spruce and Pine Streets this was the first government funded poorhouse in the United States and was regarded as a model institution, it had separate facilities for the indigent and the insane, and also an infirmary. |+|
|Body= the of the [[|]] . the and , in the and was a the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.