|(491 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
SouthMountainRest 06.jpg |+|
In 1903 the state legislature donated $8,000 and the first real buildings of [[ South Mountain Restoration Center| White Pine Camp]] were erected on the grounds. The state money was used to build an assembly building, office building, spring house, and 6 cottages that consisted of 3 rooms, 2 porches, and furniture for each. The sanatorium housed about 30 patients during this time, who paid $1 per week which covered all expenses except laundry. However, there was still no in-house doctor, only a local doctor that made visits to the sanatorium. The state provided another $15,000 in 1905 to build a dining room and kitchen. By 1907 the sanatorium was transferred to the PA Dept of Health and $600,000 was spent on the facility. |+|
|Body= the the [[|]] . state and , 2,. . , there was a that to the facility.
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.