|(497 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
Battle Creek MI Sanitarium 1903 01.jpg |+|
Dr. Kellogg immediately started a new structure, which was completed on the same site and dedicated May 31, 1903. The 550-foot-long six-story portion of the building that faces Washington Avenue was built for about $700,000 to $1 million, according to differing reports. Prominent architects called the building an “ideal hospital design. ” The 1903 San was Italian Renaissance in style, with nearly seven acres of indoor space, and “fireproof.” For further insurance, property was donated to the city to build a brand new fire station directly across from the new facility. [[Battle Creek Sanitarium]] |+|
|Body= the of the to . the . ,with of , and was to to the facility.
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.