Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Image Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FIformat
 
{{FIformat
|Image= winnebagoWI003.jpg
+
|Image= yarrabend.png
 
|Width= 600px
 
|Width= 600px
|Body= [[Winnebago State Hospital|On the west central shore of Lake Winnebago]], just north of the city of Oshkosh, lies a promontory called Asylum Point. Its surrounding waters are identified as Asylum Bay. For 125 years, the Bay has sheltered the facility which has been known as the Northern Asylum for the Insane; the Winnebago State Hospital; and Winnebago Mental Health Institute. Although its waters have been by no means always tranquil, the Institute has, throughout its history, provided many troubled individuals with a sanctuary, a refuge, and a safe place to prepare for re-entry into a turbulent world.  
+
|Body= [[Yarra Bend Asylum|Yarra Bend]] was the first permanent institution established in Victoria that was devoted to the treatment of the mentally ill. It opened in 1848 as a ward of the Asylum at Tarban Creek in New South Wales. It was not officially called Yarra Bend Asylum until July 1851 when the Port Phillip District separated from the Colony of New South Wales. Prior to the establishment of Yarra Bend, lunatic patients had been kept in the District's goals. New admissions ceased in 1924 with the Asylum officially closing in 1925. All remaining patients were transferred to the Mont Park facilities.  
 
}}
 
}}

Revision as of 03:30, 9 August 2020

Featured Image Of The Week

yarrabend.png
Yarra Bend was the first permanent institution established in Victoria that was devoted to the treatment of the mentally ill. It opened in 1848 as a ward of the Asylum at Tarban Creek in New South Wales. It was not officially called Yarra Bend Asylum until July 1851 when the Port Phillip District separated from the Colony of New South Wales. Prior to the establishment of Yarra Bend, lunatic patients had been kept in the District's goals. New admissions ceased in 1924 with the Asylum officially closing in 1925. All remaining patients were transferred to the Mont Park facilities.