Featured Article Of The Week
East Moline State Hospital
In 1895 the General Assembly established the Illinois Western Hospital for the Insane. A board of three trustees, appointed by the Governor, was instructed to select a suitable site within the northwestern part of the state on which to locate the institution. The board also was empowered to initiate construction plans and after completion oversee the administration of the institution subject to the inspection of the Board of State Commissioners of Public Charities.
The trustees purchased land five miles east of Moline in an area known as the Watertown site. The hospital was opened in May 1898 and received its first patients from the Illinois Central Hospital for the Insane at Jacksonville. Click here for more...