Featured Article Of The Week
Richmond State Hospital
The site for the Eastern Indiana Hospital for the Insane, now known as Richmond State Hospital, of approximately 307 acres, was purchased in 1878. Construction started in 1884 and was completed in 1890. While the Indiana legislature had authorized the establishment of a "hospital for the insane" as early as 1827, the doors of the Indiana Hospital for the Insane (later re-named Central State Hospital) did not open until 1848.
At Richmond, between 1887 and 1890, three of the completed buildings were occupied by "The School for Feeble Minded Youth." In 1890, these patients were transferred to what is now known as the Fort Wayne Developmental Center. The buildings were refurbished and the hospital formally opened on July 29, 1890, with the first patient admitted on August 4, 1890.
The hospital buildings were constructed on the cottage plan in order to prevent any "disastrous conflagration," and provide for immediate evacuation of a small number of persons in case of fire. There are many interesting architectural details in the older buildings, including exterior cupolas, interior detailing such as intricate railings and stained glass. Click here for more...