|(576 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
Pavilion Plan Institutions |+|
Pavilion became a term of hospital architecture in the mid nineteenth century. It means a detached or semi-detached block or building in a hospital complex. The PAPHE glossary defines a pavilion as " a building or a main building with a block plan". However, PAPHE uses the term " Pavilion Hospital" in an extended sense for " an edifice consisting of independent buildings (completely isolated or linked to each other through open galleries), irrespective of the layout". |+|
|Body= a hospital in the . . The "". , the "Hospital" "to , of .
| || |
first Pavilion type hospital was the Royal Herbert, on Shooters Hill Eltham, a military hospital opened on Jan 11, 1865. The second was St. Thomas' in London, which opened in 1871. These were designed on principles recommended by Florence Nightingale. The Architect of Royal Herbert being her nephew.[[ Pavilion Plan Institutions|Click here for more...]] |+|
The was the , , , . The were by of . [[|Click here for more...]]
Revision as of 02:47, 28 February 2021
Featured Article Of The Week
Central State Hospital Louisville
Central State Hospital was a 192-bed adult psychiatric hospital located in eastern Louisville-Jefferson County, Kentucky. In 1869, 200 acres were purchased by the Kentucky State Legislature from the descendants of renown frontiersman Issac Hite to establish a "State House of Reform for Juvenile Delinquents." This was located on the outskirts of what would become Anchorage, Kentucky. In 1873, due to overcrowding at both of Kentucky's mental hospitals, the House of Reform was converted into the Fourth Kentucky Lunatic Asylum, with Dr. C.C. Forbes as its first Superintendent. The following year an act of the legislature renamed it the Central Kentucky Lunatic Asylum. In late 1887, it received its own post office, called simply "Asylum". The following year its name was changed to "Lakeland", and the institution was commonly referred to as "Lakeland Hospital" or "Lakeland Asylum". By 1900, its official name had been changed to the Central Kentucky Asylum for the Insane. By 1912 it was known as Central State Hospital. Comparable institutions are Eastern State Hospital at Lexington in Fayette County and Western State Hospital at Hopkinsville, Christian County, Kentucky. All three were administered by the Board of Charitable Organizations.
The secluded, rural setting was typical of such facilities in the late 19th century, as such an environment was thought to be beneficial for recovery from mental illness. However, not all patients had mental disorders - some suffered from brain damage, mental retardation or were simply poor or elderly. The early years of the 1880s were marked by repeated allegations of patient abuse. Click here for more...