|(578 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
Hastings State Hospital |+|
|Title= State Hospital
Hastings State Hospital was established by an act of the legislature (Laws 1899 c230) as the Second State Asylum for the Insane. At its opening in 1900, it served as a transfer asylum, admitting patients from other state hospitals. It did not admit women until 1944 except for four years staring in 1905. The hospital's name was changed to Hastings State Asylum in 1919 and to Hastings State Hospital in 1937. Hastings State Hospital was closed on May 1st, 1978. All patients were either transferred or discharged to homes or other state hospitals or facilities. The second state veterans home was established on the site of the hospital. |+|
|Body= State Hospital was by an act of the legislature the Asylum. , it , . The name was changed to Asylumto State Hospital in State Hospital , . All were the of .
| || |
|−|Hastings State Hospital was the first in the state to discontinue use of physical restraints fro mentally ill patients, to implement regional coordination, and to open a regional service for drug dependency. It was also one of the leading hospitals in terms of developing partial hospitalization, adolescent treatment services, and education programs. At its closing, it was also one of the first hospitals to offer benefits for its' workers. All employees were offered employment in the Department of Public Welfare or other state agencies with no loss of salary or benefits. [[ Hastings State Hospital|Click here for more...]] |+|
was in the , to for . , , . of the were of . [[State Hospital |Click here for more...]]
Revision as of 02:47, 28 February 2021
Featured Article Of The Week
Central State Hospital Louisville
Central State Hospital was a 192-bed adult psychiatric hospital located in eastern Louisville-Jefferson County, Kentucky. In 1869, 200 acres were purchased by the Kentucky State Legislature from the descendants of renown frontiersman Issac Hite to establish a "State House of Reform for Juvenile Delinquents." This was located on the outskirts of what would become Anchorage, Kentucky. In 1873, due to overcrowding at both of Kentucky's mental hospitals, the House of Reform was converted into the Fourth Kentucky Lunatic Asylum, with Dr. C.C. Forbes as its first Superintendent. The following year an act of the legislature renamed it the Central Kentucky Lunatic Asylum. In late 1887, it received its own post office, called simply "Asylum". The following year its name was changed to "Lakeland", and the institution was commonly referred to as "Lakeland Hospital" or "Lakeland Asylum". By 1900, its official name had been changed to the Central Kentucky Asylum for the Insane. By 1912 it was known as Central State Hospital. Comparable institutions are Eastern State Hospital at Lexington in Fayette County and Western State Hospital at Hopkinsville, Christian County, Kentucky. All three were administered by the Board of Charitable Organizations.
The secluded, rural setting was typical of such facilities in the late 19th century, as such an environment was thought to be beneficial for recovery from mental illness. However, not all patients had mental disorders - some suffered from brain damage, mental retardation or were simply poor or elderly. The early years of the 1880s were marked by repeated allegations of patient abuse. Click here for more...