|(611 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
Fergus Falls State Hospital |+|
|Title= State Hospital
[[Fergus Falls State Hospital |Fergus Falls]] was the Third Hospital for the Insane, established by the Minnesota Legislature in 1887. Architect Warren Dunnell from Minneapolis, Minnesota used a layout proposed by Dr Thomas Kirkbride to allow patients a more natural environment. The hospital opened in July 1890 when it admitted 80 patients transferred from St. Peter State Hospital. Initially the hospital accepted only male patients, most of whom were from counties north of the Twin Cities. Within its first decade the hospital began to admit female patients. In 1893 the official name of the hospital was changed to Fergus Falls State Hospital. The facility was self-sufficient with its own farm, food service, laundry, workshops and power plant. The institution served 17 counties in northwestern and west central Minnesota, with the patient census reaching an all- time high of 2,078 in 1937. [[ Fergus Falls State Hospital|Click here for more...]] |+|
|Body= State Hospital was , by the Legislature from to a State .the , of of the . its first the . In the official name the was State Hospital. , , .
The in , an all - of . [[State Hospital |Click here for more...]]
Revision as of 02:47, 28 February 2021
Featured Article Of The Week
Central State Hospital Louisville
Central State Hospital was a 192-bed adult psychiatric hospital located in eastern Louisville-Jefferson County, Kentucky. In 1869, 200 acres were purchased by the Kentucky State Legislature from the descendants of renown frontiersman Issac Hite to establish a "State House of Reform for Juvenile Delinquents." This was located on the outskirts of what would become Anchorage, Kentucky. In 1873, due to overcrowding at both of Kentucky's mental hospitals, the House of Reform was converted into the Fourth Kentucky Lunatic Asylum, with Dr. C.C. Forbes as its first Superintendent. The following year an act of the legislature renamed it the Central Kentucky Lunatic Asylum. In late 1887, it received its own post office, called simply "Asylum". The following year its name was changed to "Lakeland", and the institution was commonly referred to as "Lakeland Hospital" or "Lakeland Asylum". By 1900, its official name had been changed to the Central Kentucky Asylum for the Insane. By 1912 it was known as Central State Hospital. Comparable institutions are Eastern State Hospital at Lexington in Fayette County and Western State Hospital at Hopkinsville, Christian County, Kentucky. All three were administered by the Board of Charitable Organizations.
The secluded, rural setting was typical of such facilities in the late 19th century, as such an environment was thought to be beneficial for recovery from mental illness. However, not all patients had mental disorders - some suffered from brain damage, mental retardation or were simply poor or elderly. The early years of the 1880s were marked by repeated allegations of patient abuse. Click here for more...