|(616 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
Allentown State Hospital |+|
|Title= State Hospital
AllentownPA 4.jpg |+|
1901, the Germantown Homeopathic Medical Society of Philadelphia assisted in introducing and furthering a bill in the state legislature to provide for the selection of a site and construction of a state hospital for the insane. The hospital was to be under homeopathic management and control. A number of areas were evaluated before the Rittersville section of Lehigh County was accepted as the construction site. The cornerstone for the hospital was laid on June 27, 1904, but because of delays in financial appropriations, the hospital was not completed until 1912. The hospital was opened on October 3, 1912 at a cost of $1, 931, 270. |+|
|Body= In , the of to a of for the . to of the of was as . The the , , , the was . , 1912 at , , .
| || |
first admissions were patients from Norristown and Danville State Hospitals, which were both overcrowded at that time. The hospital at Rittersville, or the Allentown Homeopathic Hospital for the Insane as it was called at the time, was the first homeopathic institution of its kind in Pennsylvania. The first Superintendent, Dr. Henry Klopp, was a homeopathic physician and the Hospital was closely allied with the Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia. The homeopathic medical approach was gradually changed to the more standard medical model and the homeopathic title was dropped from the name, the Hospital then being referred to as Allentown State Hospital. [[ Allentown State Hospital|Click here for more...]] |+|
The , was the , was . , , . The the . [[State Hospital |Click here for more...]]
Featured Article Of The Week
Central State Hospital Louisville
Central State Hospital was a 192-bed adult psychiatric hospital located in eastern Louisville-Jefferson County, Kentucky. In 1869, 200 acres were purchased by the Kentucky State Legislature from the descendants of renown frontiersman Issac Hite to establish a "State House of Reform for Juvenile Delinquents." This was located on the outskirts of what would become Anchorage, Kentucky. In 1873, due to overcrowding at both of Kentucky's mental hospitals, the House of Reform was converted into the Fourth Kentucky Lunatic Asylum, with Dr. C.C. Forbes as its first Superintendent. The following year an act of the legislature renamed it the Central Kentucky Lunatic Asylum. In late 1887, it received its own post office, called simply "Asylum". The following year its name was changed to "Lakeland", and the institution was commonly referred to as "Lakeland Hospital" or "Lakeland Asylum". By 1900, its official name had been changed to the Central Kentucky Asylum for the Insane. By 1912 it was known as Central State Hospital. Comparable institutions are Eastern State Hospital at Lexington in Fayette County and Western State Hospital at Hopkinsville, Christian County, Kentucky. All three were administered by the Board of Charitable Organizations.
The secluded, rural setting was typical of such facilities in the late 19th century, as such an environment was thought to be beneficial for recovery from mental illness. However, not all patients had mental disorders - some suffered from brain damage, mental retardation or were simply poor or elderly. The early years of the 1880s were marked by repeated allegations of patient abuse. Click here for more...