Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Article Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
(9 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FAformat
 
{{FAformat
|Title= Eastern Oregon State Hospital
+
|Title= Tarban Creek Lunatic Asylum
|Image= Pendleton.jpg
+
|Image= Gladesville11.JPG
 
|Width= 150px
 
|Width= 150px
|Body= Eastern Oregon State Hospital was created by statute in 1909 and formally opened in Pendleton, Oregon in January 1913. The functions of the hospital were to diagnose mental illness, provide treatment, and release patients who had satisfactorily responded to treatment; to investigate patients admitted and their family histories to determine the cause of a person's mental illness; to provide for humane custodial care to those for whom curative treatment was ineffective; to manage social and recreational programs for patients; to utilize patients for the maintenance and upkeep of buildings and grounds; and to assist in the protection of the patient's financial and business interests.
+
|Body= On 13 January 1835 Governor Bourke sent a despatch to Britain stating "A lunatic asylum is an Establishment that can no longer be dispensed with. In this Colony, the use of ardent spirits induces the disease called delirium tremens, which frequently terminates in confirmed lunacy. The present asylum is a wretched hired Building without outlet of any kind." In his reply dated 3 August 1835, Lord Glenelg conveyed the British Government's authorisation for expenditure of NSW Colonial government funds for this project.
  
In 1965, the hospital became the Eastern Oregon Hospital and Training Center. In 1969, their goals were the restoration of patients to mental and physical health, economic self sufficiency, and if possible, the return of the patient to the community.
+
On 24 April 1837 Governor Bourke reported that the new asylum was approaching completion, and since he considered it impossible to find persons qualified for its superintendence in NSW, he requested that a married couple be engaged and sent out from England as Keeper and Matron. The new Superintendent and Matron, Mr and Mrs Digby, took up residence at Tarban Creek Lunatic Asylum on 18 August 1838, with the first patients transferred from Liverpool Asylum and the Female Factory, Parramatta, arriving on 19 November 1838.
  
With a decline in the patient population, the 1983 Legislative Assembly authorized the establishment of a three hundred and fifty bed medium security prison at the Eastern Oregon Hospital and Training Center. The facility opened in 1985 as the Eastern Oregon Correctional Institution.
+
Following the recommendations of the Select Committee on the Lunatic Asylum in 1846, changes to administration, staffing, and record keeping occurred. Of major concern was the perceived lack of expert medical direction, resulting in the appointment on 1 January 1848 of a medical superintendent, Dr Francis Campbell, to administer the institution.  [[Tarban Creek Lunatic Asylum|Click here for more...]]
 
 
On January 1, 1985, the Eastern Oregon Hospital and Training Center became the Eastern Oregon Psychiatric Center (EOPC) and the Eastern Oregon Training Center (EOTC). Both centers serve the sixteen central and eastern counties, with EOPC being a sixty bed inpatient facility for mentally and emotionally disturbed people. EOTC is a ninety bed training center for developmentally disabled residents.  [[Eastern Oregon State Hospital|Click here for more...]]
 
 
}}
 
}}

Revision as of 04:36, 24 January 2021

Featured Article Of The Week

Tarban Creek Lunatic Asylum


Gladesville11.JPG

On 13 January 1835 Governor Bourke sent a despatch to Britain stating "A lunatic asylum is an Establishment that can no longer be dispensed with. In this Colony, the use of ardent spirits induces the disease called delirium tremens, which frequently terminates in confirmed lunacy. The present asylum is a wretched hired Building without outlet of any kind." In his reply dated 3 August 1835, Lord Glenelg conveyed the British Government's authorisation for expenditure of NSW Colonial government funds for this project.

On 24 April 1837 Governor Bourke reported that the new asylum was approaching completion, and since he considered it impossible to find persons qualified for its superintendence in NSW, he requested that a married couple be engaged and sent out from England as Keeper and Matron. The new Superintendent and Matron, Mr and Mrs Digby, took up residence at Tarban Creek Lunatic Asylum on 18 August 1838, with the first patients transferred from Liverpool Asylum and the Female Factory, Parramatta, arriving on 19 November 1838.

Following the recommendations of the Select Committee on the Lunatic Asylum in 1846, changes to administration, staffing, and record keeping occurred. Of major concern was the perceived lack of expert medical direction, resulting in the appointment on 1 January 1848 of a medical superintendent, Dr Francis Campbell, to administer the institution. Click here for more...