Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Article Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FAformat
 
{{FAformat
|Title= Eastern Oregon State Hospital
+
|Title= Spencer State Hospital
|Image= Pendleton.jpg
+
|Image= SpencerSH_02_Modified.jpg
 
|Width= 150px
 
|Width= 150px
|Body= Eastern Oregon State Hospital was created by statute in 1909 and formally opened in Pendleton, Oregon in January 1913. The functions of the hospital were to diagnose mental illness, provide treatment, and release patients who had satisfactorily responded to treatment; to investigate patients admitted and their family histories to determine the cause of a person's mental illness; to provide for humane custodial care to those for whom curative treatment was ineffective; to manage social and recreational programs for patients; to utilize patients for the maintenance and upkeep of buildings and grounds; and to assist in the protection of the patient's financial and business interests.
+
|Body= In 1885, the state legislature began hearings on the need for a Second Hospital for the Insane. The first hospital for the insane was built at Weston in 1859. Because of overcrowded conditions, it was determined that a second facility was needed. They appointed a commission to choose several sites and present their findings at the next session in 1887. John G Schilling, a Spencer attorney, was among the members of the commission.
  
In 1965, the hospital became the Eastern Oregon Hospital and Training Center. In 1969, their goals were the restoration of patients to mental and physical health, economic self sufficiency, and if possible, the return of the patient to the community.
+
One of the factors that would determine the final selection of a site was the willingness of the county government to purchase the necessary land and donate it to the state free of charge. Roane County was enthusiastic with the prospect of obtaining the hospital. The Roane County Court immediately issued an order stating that they would indeed be willing to meet this requirement.
  
With a decline in the patient population, the 1983 Legislative Assembly authorized the establishment of a three hundred and fifty bed medium security prison at the Eastern Oregon Hospital and Training Center. The facility opened in 1985 as the Eastern Oregon Correctional Institution.
+
The decision on the hospital's location was not made until the legislative session of 1887. Spencer was eventually chosen as the site of the new hospital. The legislature approved an appropriation of $10,000 to begin construction. The county was now required to provide the land for the facility. On February 10, 1888, the county court purchased 184 acres of land from William R. Goff for the sum of $9,200. Goff, after receiving this large sum of money began looking for a safe repository for his money. Goff and several other citizens joined together to form the Bank of Spencer. It opened for business in March 1891. The county's first bank was designated to handle the funds for the construction of the new hospital. It also later handled the state hospital's regular transactions. The building was 1/4 mile in length.  [[Spencer State Hospital|Click here for more...]]
 
 
On January 1, 1985, the Eastern Oregon Hospital and Training Center became the Eastern Oregon Psychiatric Center (EOPC) and the Eastern Oregon Training Center (EOTC). Both centers serve the sixteen central and eastern counties, with EOPC being a sixty bed inpatient facility for mentally and emotionally disturbed people. EOTC is a ninety bed training center for developmentally disabled residents.  [[Eastern Oregon State Hospital|Click here for more...]]
 
 
}}
 
}}

Revision as of 03:23, 22 November 2020

Featured Article Of The Week

Spencer State Hospital


SpencerSH 02 Modified.jpg

In 1885, the state legislature began hearings on the need for a Second Hospital for the Insane. The first hospital for the insane was built at Weston in 1859. Because of overcrowded conditions, it was determined that a second facility was needed. They appointed a commission to choose several sites and present their findings at the next session in 1887. John G Schilling, a Spencer attorney, was among the members of the commission.

One of the factors that would determine the final selection of a site was the willingness of the county government to purchase the necessary land and donate it to the state free of charge. Roane County was enthusiastic with the prospect of obtaining the hospital. The Roane County Court immediately issued an order stating that they would indeed be willing to meet this requirement.

The decision on the hospital's location was not made until the legislative session of 1887. Spencer was eventually chosen as the site of the new hospital. The legislature approved an appropriation of $10,000 to begin construction. The county was now required to provide the land for the facility. On February 10, 1888, the county court purchased 184 acres of land from William R. Goff for the sum of $9,200. Goff, after receiving this large sum of money began looking for a safe repository for his money. Goff and several other citizens joined together to form the Bank of Spencer. It opened for business in March 1891. The county's first bank was designated to handle the funds for the construction of the new hospital. It also later handled the state hospital's regular transactions. The building was 1/4 mile in length. Click here for more...