Patapsco Manor Sanitarium

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 23:33, 16 May 2016 by Squad546 (talk | contribs) (Created page with "{{infobox institution | name = Patapsco Manor Sanitarium | image = | image_size = 250px | alt = | caption = | established = | construction_began = | construction_ended = | ...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Patapsco Manor Sanitarium
Opened 1907
Current Status Active
Building Style Cottage Plan
Location Elliott City, MD
Alternate Names
  • Taylor Manor Hospital
  • Pinel Clinic
  • Sheppard Pratt at Ellicott City (Current)



History[edit]

Taylor Manor Hospital is built on part of the Thomas and Sophia Gaither farm, which the Gaither's acquired in 1873 and sold to the Howard County Sanitarium Company in 1907. The Gaither farm was 141 acres, but the sanitarium only purchased 55 acres, along with the Gaither house and other outbuildings. Dr. W. Rushmer White, a Canadian, operated the hospital inside the Gaither house. In 1922 a new building known as the annex was built. On the night of 21 November 1923 the old Gaither house caught fire and the building was completely destroyed. Plans were started immediately for a series of new buildings. "A" Building was reportedly built in 1924, designed by architect Walter M. Gieske, of Catonsville.

In 1949 Irving J. Taylor, MD became the Medical Director. In 1954, the hospital was given the family name and became Taylor Manor Hospital. Under Dr. Irving Taylor’s direction, Taylor Manor was the first hospital in the country to use Thorazine, the first neuroleptic, in 1953. He went on to work with each new anti-psychotic, antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication before it came to market in the ‘50s and ‘60s’. His research included therapeutic benefits, side effects and clinical dose equivalences of the new medications. In 1966, Dr. Irving Taylor started the first psychiatric hospital treatment program in Maryland specifically for adolescents. This was followed in the ‘70s by the development of a Dual-Diagnosis Program for emotionally ill substance abusers, called Group 9 and by a specialized Young Adult Treatment Program.

Edith Taylor, Irving’s wife and the Hospital’s Executive Director, helped design and build a new Center Building which was occupied in 1968, expanding the Hospital’s capacity to 176 beds. Edith Taylor received the Artist’s Equity Award for her placement of original artwork throughout the building to promote a sense of beauty, tranquility and a home-like atmosphere. She also developed the Hospital’s turquoise color scheme and its logo. In 1968, the Hospital held its first Annual Symposium. Only two years later a major 3-day symposium entitled “Discoveries in Biological Psychiatry” highlighted the major advances in psychopharmacology with presentations by 18 of the world’s major researchers. The Educational Programs, and the publications that have resulted, have helped to shape the psychiatric education of thousands of professionals throughout the country.

In 2002 the Sheppard Pratt Health System acquired the hospital operation from the Taylors. The land and buildings were retained by the Taylors and most of the buildings were demolished in late 2008-early 2009 for redevelopment of the land. [1]


References[edit]