Difference between revisions of "Notre-Dame de Lourdes Sanatorium"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "{{infobox institution | name = Notre-Dame de Lourdes Sanatorium | image = nb_pict1.jpg | image_size = 250px | alt = | caption = | established = 1931 | construction_began =...")
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{infobox institution
 
{{infobox institution
 
| name = Notre-Dame de Lourdes Sanatorium
 
| name = Notre-Dame de Lourdes Sanatorium
| image = nb_pict1.jpg
+
| image =  
 
| image_size = 250px
 
| image_size = 250px
 
| alt =  
 
| alt =  

Latest revision as of 18:41, 28 January 2018

Notre-Dame de Lourdes Sanatorium
Established 1931
Opened 1931
Closed 1972
Demolished 2000
Current Status Demolished
Alternate Names
  • Notre Dame de Lourdes Sanatorium at Lady Dunn



History[edit]

"At the beginning of the 1930s, a rampant epidemic of tuberculosis spread throughout the Northeast of New Brunswick. There being no sanatorium in that region, Bishop Chiasson called upon the Hospitallers. On May 4, 1931, Sisters La Dauversiere, Eva Albert (St. Albert), Marie de l’Assomption (Turcotte) and Leontine took possession of the residence Sir James Dunn had put at their disposal. They converted this residence into a temporary hospital and on August 5, 1932, this 90 bed sanatorium opened its doors.

In 1972, when tuberculosis had abated, this sanatorium no longer had its raison d’etre, it became the Notre Dame de Lourdes nursing home. The Sisters lived in that residence until July 2000 when the nursing home which had become obsolete, was demolished. The government built a new facility and today, it is a member of the Catholic Health International health system." Courtesy of Religious Hospitallers of Saint Joseph, rhsj.org