New Orleans Insane Asylum
|New Orleans Insane Asylum|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Location||New Orleans, LA|
In 1854, the New Orleans City Council established a "temporary asylum for the indigent insane" and gave Recorders of the various districts the power to commit patients to this facility "until provision can be made for their admission into the State asylum at Jackson." Although apparently intended as a stop-gap measure, the New Orleans Insane Asylum continued to admit patients until 1883, when it was closed and the remaining patients were transferred to Jackson.