Mount Wilson State Hospital
|Mount Wilson State Hospital|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
|Location||Mount Wilson, MD|
Mount Wilson was established in 1925 with William Newcomer, M.D. as Superintendentand and provides for the care of 500 patients. Staff: 1965, 389; Staff: 1966, 390.
Now called North Oakes Retirement Community. Mount Wilson State Hospital and Sanitarium closed in 1981. The buildings sat abandoned until 1990. Many high school students would visit the hospital. Secluded on about 200 acres in Baltimore County, Md. Thousands of Tuberculosis patients were treated here during the 50's, 60's, and 70's.