Louisiana Training Institute

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Louisiana Training Institute
Opened 1904
Current Status Active
Building Style Cottage Plan
Location Monroe, LA
Alternate Names
  • Swanson Center for Youth


In 1904, the Louisiana State Reform School for Boys opened in Monroe housing only white boys. It was renamed Louisiana Training Institute for Boys in 1908. When fire destroyed the administration building in November 1912, the records were lost, and the school disbanded until 1915 when it was reopened. Today it is known as Swanson Center for Youth.