Difference between revisions of "Lakin State Hospital"
|Line 46:||Line 46:|
Revision as of 22:33, 21 October 2011
|Lakin State Hospital|
|Building Style||Rambling Plan|
|Peak Patient Population||502 (1960 pop.)|
The Lakin State Hospital was created under the same legislation proposed by T.G. Nutter, Harry Capehart and T.J. Coleman, three African American legislators that created several state-funded reform institutions for African Americans between 1919 and 1921, that also created the Lakin Industrial Home for Colored Boys across WV 62 from the hospital. Like the industrial school that also bore the name of the town of Lakin, the state hospital was for African Americans only during segregation.
In 1950, Lakin was visited along with the Barboursville State Hospital and Spencer State Hospital by Dr. William Freeman, sometimes called the "Father of the American Lobotomy". During July and early August Dr. Freeman performed 228 lobotomies on patients at those facilities, including twenty 'very dangerous Negroes' at Lakin.
In 1954, Lakin State Hospital began the process of integrating it's staff and patient population. It also assumed the duty of district hospital for Jackson, Mason, Putnam, and Wood counties in West Virginia. In 1960 the facilities consisted of two three story main buildings (separated by gender), a two story office building, cannery, a new office/dietary complex constructed in 1959, two staff dormitories, physician housing, and a short term treatment medical center. Along with those buildings, there were six older buildings that had been renovated structures serving as laundry, workshops, and recreation hall. By 1960 psychosurgical procedures were no longer practiced, replaced by group and recreational therapy and psychotherapy.
It's use as a mental hospital persisted into the late 1970s, until the State of West Virginia de-institutionalized mental healthcare.  Today the former Lakin State Hospital property is still owned by the Department of Health the Lakin Nursing Home, while many of the buildings constructed by the state have now been demolished