Kennedy School

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 22:18, 7 January 2014 by Squad546 (talk | contribs) (Created page with "{{infobox institution | name = Kennedy School | image = | image_size = 250px | alt = | established = 1949 | construction_began = | opened = 1949 | closed = | demolished = | ...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Kennedy School
Established 1949
Opened 1949
Current Status Active
Building Style Single Building
Location Palos Park(Original)
Alternate Names
  • Lt. Joseph P Kennedy Jr. School




History[edit]

In 1949, the Sisters of the Order of St. Francis established St. Coletta’s of Illinois for 29 students with developmental disabilities. An old farmhouse sitting on 53 tree-covered acres outside of Palos Park began what today has become a social service agency providing services for approximately 400 children and adults with developmental disabilities.

For 40 years, developmentally disabled children lived, went to school, and learned work skills on the grounds of the Palos Park campus. In 1989, St. Coletta’s of Illinois took a great leap forward by relocating the Kennedy School to a vacant public school building in Palos Hills. For the first time in the school’s history, children living on campus boarded a bus to go to school just as millions of other children do each day.