Julius Marks Sanitarium
|Julius Marks Sanitarium|
|Building Style||Single Building|
The hospital was opened in 1917 as Blue Grass Sanitorium, a treatment center for tuberculosis run by the Fayette County government. In 1924 Leo Marks gave $125,000 to the county to construct and equip new facilities for the hospital, which was renamed in honor of his father, Julius. Fayette County and the state continued to contribute funds. The opening of five state tuberculosis hospitals in 1948 caused the number of patients at Julius Marks to decline. These patients eventually were transferred to the state hospitals and Julius Marks became a home for the elderly and indigent patients in Fayette County.