Difference between revisions of "Julius Marks Sanitarium"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with '{{infobox institution | name = Julius Marks Sanitarium | image = | image_size = | alt = | caption = | established = | construction_began = | construction_ended = | opened …')
 
m
 
(3 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{infobox institution
 
{{infobox institution
 
| name = Julius Marks Sanitarium
 
| name = Julius Marks Sanitarium
| image =  
+
| image = Juliusmarks.png
 
| image_size =  
 
| image_size =  
 
| alt =  
 
| alt =  
Line 11: Line 11:
 
| closed =  
 
| closed =  
 
| demolished = 2002
 
| demolished = 2002
| current_status = [[Demolished Institutions|Demolished]]
+
| current_status = [[Demolished Institution|Demolished]]
| building_style = [[Single Building Institutions|Single Building]]
+
| building_style = [[Cottage Planned Institutions|Cottage Plan]]
 
| architect(s) =   
 
| architect(s) =   
 
| location = Lexington, KY
 
| location = Lexington, KY
 
| architecture_style =  
 
| architecture_style =  
 
| peak_patient_population =   
 
| peak_patient_population =   
| alternate_names =  
+
| alternate_names = <br>
 +
*Blue Grass Sanitorium
 +
*Fayette County Tuberculosis Sanitorium
 
}}
 
}}
  
 
== History ==
 
== History ==
 
The hospital was opened in 1917 as Blue Grass Sanitorium, a treatment center for tuberculosis run by the Fayette County government. In 1924 Leo Marks gave $125,000 to the county to construct and equip new facilities for the hospital, which was renamed in honor of his father, Julius. Fayette County and the state continued to contribute funds. The opening of five state tuberculosis hospitals in 1948 caused the number of patients at Julius Marks to decline. These patients eventually were transferred to the state hospitals and Julius Marks became a home for the elderly and indigent patients in Fayette County.
 
The hospital was opened in 1917 as Blue Grass Sanitorium, a treatment center for tuberculosis run by the Fayette County government. In 1924 Leo Marks gave $125,000 to the county to construct and equip new facilities for the hospital, which was renamed in honor of his father, Julius. Fayette County and the state continued to contribute funds. The opening of five state tuberculosis hospitals in 1948 caused the number of patients at Julius Marks to decline. These patients eventually were transferred to the state hospitals and Julius Marks became a home for the elderly and indigent patients in Fayette County.
 +
 +
==Images==
 +
<gallery>
 +
File:KYmarksTB.jpg
 +
File:KYmarksTBmain.png
 +
</gallery>
  
 
[[Category:Kentucky]]
 
[[Category:Kentucky]]
[[Category:Single Building]]
+
[[Category:Cottage Plan]]
 
[[Category:Demolished Institution]]
 
[[Category:Demolished Institution]]

Latest revision as of 23:48, 21 January 2014

Julius Marks Sanitarium
Opened 1917
Demolished 2002
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Cottage Plan
Location Lexington, KY
Alternate Names
  • Blue Grass Sanitorium
  • Fayette County Tuberculosis Sanitorium



History[edit]

The hospital was opened in 1917 as Blue Grass Sanitorium, a treatment center for tuberculosis run by the Fayette County government. In 1924 Leo Marks gave $125,000 to the county to construct and equip new facilities for the hospital, which was renamed in honor of his father, Julius. Fayette County and the state continued to contribute funds. The opening of five state tuberculosis hospitals in 1948 caused the number of patients at Julius Marks to decline. These patients eventually were transferred to the state hospitals and Julius Marks became a home for the elderly and indigent patients in Fayette County.

Images[edit]