Hellesdon Hospital

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 22:16, 13 May 2014 by Squad546 (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Hellesdon Hospital
Opened 1828
Current Status Active
Building Style Corridor Plan
Architect(s) Richard Makilwaine Phipson
Alternate Names
  • Norwich City Asylum
  • Norwich City Mental Hospital
  • Norwich Pauper Asylum



History[edit]

After 1864 the hospital was administered by a Pauper Lunatic Asylum Committee, later known as the Borough Asylum Committee, the City Asylum Committee, the Mental Hospital Visiting Committee and the Mental Treatment Committee. Norwich Incorporation of Guardians of Poor / Poor Law Union. The asylum was erected in 1828 on land adjoining the workhouse infirmary outside St Augustine's Gates in Parish of St Clements, Norwich. Although the Infirmary moved to the new Workhouse site at Bowthorpe Road, Heigham, in 1859, the Asylum remained in its old location until 1880 when the new Norwich City Asylum was opened in Hellesdon. The new Asylum accepted patients from the Boroughs of King's Lynn and Great Yarmouth as well as the City of Norwich.