Eufala Boarding School

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 09:29, 9 May 2020 by Squad546 (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Eufaula Boarding School
Opened 1892
Location Eufaula, OK
Alternate Names
  • Eufala Dormitory
  • Eufala Dormitory for Girls



History[edit]

Eufaula Dormitory has ties to the old Ashbury Manual Labor School which was first established about one mile from the Chattahoochee River near Columbus, Alabama, in 1822. The school was reestablished in 1847 in the Creek Territory, the new reservation west of the Mississippi River.

The school burned in 1890, and the Creeks were without a school until 1892 when the Creek Government established a new school. The school was co-educational until 1907 when it was made into a school for Creek girls only. In October, 1970, Eufaula Dormitory (so named when students started attending the Eufaula Public Schools in 1952) was moved to new facilities located on about 16 acres of Creek land approximately one-quarter of a mile from the old campus. The new Dormitory, which was constructed in 1969, 1970 and 1971, houses 64 boys and 64 girls. The old facilities were returned to the Creek Tribe. The new facilities consist of a boys and girls dormitory, an activity building, a kitchen, a multi-purpose room which serves mainly as the student-dinning room, a canteen and three brick cottages. A gymnasium was added in 1974. The campus also includes a picnic area, a courtyard with basketball courts and a ballfield.

Muscogee (Creek) Nation has operated Eufaula Boarding School since 1984 as a peripheral dormitory through a grant from the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA). The residential facility can house up to 128 students. The facility is still currently in operation as a boarding school for Creek girls, designed to provide nine month residential care while students attend Eufaula Public Schools. Eufaula Dormitory residents attend Eufaula public Schools in grades 1-12.