Erie County Infirmary
|Erie County Infirmary|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Architect(s)||George Phillip Feick|
|Architecture Style||Second Empire|
In 1816 the Ohio General Assembly authorized boards of county commissioners to construct county poor houses to care for paupers. From 1838, when the State Legislature, established Erie County, until around 1850, indigent citizens were cared for in individual homes with the respective township funding their care. However, Portland Township did have a poor house, a residence where a number of citizens lived in one household. In March 1850, the Erie County Poor House farm consisted of about 63 acres of land with Milan Road on the east and Bloomingville Road (later renamed South Columbus Avenue) on the west.
In 1850 the legislature voted to change the name from Poor House to the County Infirmary. An Erie County Infirmary was established in Erie County in 1855 to serve as a home for the aged and indigent. The original building was destroyed by fire in 1885 and the current structure, the historic limestone building at 2900 Columbus Avenue, (the Erie County Services Center), was built in 1886. In 1919 the name changed from the Erie County Infirmary to the Erie County Home.
In 1976 the Erie County Home residents were transferred to the new facility at 3916 East Perkins Avenue, Huron, Ohio, which was dedicated on July 4, 1976, and renamed the Erie County Care Facility. Our facility is proud to have provided health care services to the residents of Erie County for more than 145 years.