Difference between revisions of "Elm Croft"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with '{{infobox institution | name = Elm Croft | image = | image_size = | alt = | caption = | established = | construction_began = 1890 | construction_ended = | opened = | closed = | …')
(No difference)

Revision as of 06:58, 10 November 2009

Elm Croft
Construction Began 1890
Building Style Single Building

1916 Description; Elm Croft, situated in Enfield, Conn., was established in 1890 by Dr. Edward Smith Vail, for the treatment of persons suffering from nervous diseases.

The houses are of modern design heated by steam and lighted by electricity. They have open fireplaces and hardwood finish. There are 50 acres of grounds, and the farm furishes cream, milk, butter, eggs, vegetables, etc., for the institution.

Dr. E.S. Vail is now assisted by his son, Dr. T.E. Vail, both of whom reside on the grounds of the institution.

  • Hurd, Henry M., William F. Drewry, Richard Dewey, Chalres W. Pilgrim, G. Alder Blumer and T.J.W. Burgess. The Institutional Care of the Insane in the United States and Canada. Vol. II. Baltimore, MD: The John Hopkins Press, 1916.