Difference between revisions of "East Anglian Sanatorium"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "In 1896 Dr Jane Walker (1859-1938) opened a centre at Downham Market (Norfolk) for the fresh-air treatment of consumption. The demand for places was greater than could be met...")
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
{{infobox institution
 +
| name = East Anglian Sanatorium
 +
| image = East Anglian Sanatorium.jpg
 +
| image_size = 250px
 +
| alt =
 +
| caption =
 +
| established = 1899
 +
| construction_began =
 +
| construction_ended =
 +
| opened = 22 January 1901
 +
| closed =
 +
| demolished =
 +
| current_status = [[Active Institution|Active]]
 +
| building_style =
 +
| architect(s) = 
 +
| location =
 +
| architecture_style =
 +
| peak_patient_population =
 +
| alternate_names =<br>
 +
*Malting and Sand Pits Farms
 +
*Maltings Farm Sanatorium
 +
*East Anglian Children's Sanatorium
 +
*British Legion Village
 +
*British Legion Sanatorium
 +
*Jane Walker Hospital
 +
}}
 +
 +
==History==
 +
 
In 1896 Dr Jane Walker (1859-1938) opened a centre at Downham Market (Norfolk) for the fresh-air treatment of consumption. The demand for places was greater than could be met there and at a few other small locations and in 1899 the East Anglian Sanatorium Company Limited was set up: Malting and Sand Pits Farms in Nayland and Wissington were purchased in the same year and a new sanatorium - the East Anglian Sanatorium - was opened on 22 January 1901 with Dr Walker as Medical Superintendent.
 
In 1896 Dr Jane Walker (1859-1938) opened a centre at Downham Market (Norfolk) for the fresh-air treatment of consumption. The demand for places was greater than could be met there and at a few other small locations and in 1899 the East Anglian Sanatorium Company Limited was set up: Malting and Sand Pits Farms in Nayland and Wissington were purchased in the same year and a new sanatorium - the East Anglian Sanatorium - was opened on 22 January 1901 with Dr Walker as Medical Superintendent.
  
 
 
The sanatorium took private patients only but in 1904 a department for poor patients was opened (Maltings Farm Sanatorium). During and immediately after the First World War the male patients at Maltings Farm were almost all ex-servicemen.
 
The sanatorium took private patients only but in 1904 a department for poor patients was opened (Maltings Farm Sanatorium). During and immediately after the First World War the male patients at Maltings Farm were almost all ex-servicemen.
 
 
   
 
   
 
Between 1912 and 1916 a separate section for children was established - the East Anglian Children's Sanatorium.
 
Between 1912 and 1916 a separate section for children was established - the East Anglian Children's Sanatorium.
 
 
   
 
   
 
The three sanatoria - run as three separate bodies, but sharing a site, and under the same management - were transferred from 1 May 1943 to the British Legion and renamed the British Legion Village, Nayland: under the National Health Service it was known as the British Legion Sanatorium until its closure as a chest hospital on 5 May 1959.
 
The three sanatoria - run as three separate bodies, but sharing a site, and under the same management - were transferred from 1 May 1943 to the British Legion and renamed the British Legion Village, Nayland: under the National Health Service it was known as the British Legion Sanatorium until its closure as a chest hospital on 5 May 1959.
 
 
   
 
   
 
After 1959 the site became a hospital for the mentally handicapped and was renamed the Jane Walker Hospital.
 
After 1959 the site became a hospital for the mentally handicapped and was renamed the Jane Walker Hospital.
  
[[File: East Anglian Sanatorium.jpg ]]
+
 
 +
[[Category:Suffolk]]
 +
[[Category:Active Institution]]

Latest revision as of 04:03, 16 January 2021

East Anglian Sanatorium
Established 1899
Opened 22 January 1901
Current Status Active
Alternate Names
  • Malting and Sand Pits Farms
  • Maltings Farm Sanatorium
  • East Anglian Children's Sanatorium
  • British Legion Village
  • British Legion Sanatorium
  • Jane Walker Hospital



History[edit]

In 1896 Dr Jane Walker (1859-1938) opened a centre at Downham Market (Norfolk) for the fresh-air treatment of consumption. The demand for places was greater than could be met there and at a few other small locations and in 1899 the East Anglian Sanatorium Company Limited was set up: Malting and Sand Pits Farms in Nayland and Wissington were purchased in the same year and a new sanatorium - the East Anglian Sanatorium - was opened on 22 January 1901 with Dr Walker as Medical Superintendent.

The sanatorium took private patients only but in 1904 a department for poor patients was opened (Maltings Farm Sanatorium). During and immediately after the First World War the male patients at Maltings Farm were almost all ex-servicemen.

Between 1912 and 1916 a separate section for children was established - the East Anglian Children's Sanatorium.

The three sanatoria - run as three separate bodies, but sharing a site, and under the same management - were transferred from 1 May 1943 to the British Legion and renamed the British Legion Village, Nayland: under the National Health Service it was known as the British Legion Sanatorium until its closure as a chest hospital on 5 May 1959.

After 1959 the site became a hospital for the mentally handicapped and was renamed the Jane Walker Hospital.