Clermont County Infirmary

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 20:29, 4 June 2013 by Squad546 (talk | contribs) (Created page with "{{infobox institution | name = Clermont County Infirmary | image = clermontcounty.png | image_size = 250px | alt = | established = | construction_began = 1883 | opened = 1885 |...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Clermont County Infirmary
Construction Began 1883
Opened 1885
Closed 1965
Demolished 2002
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Single Building
Location Batavia, OH
Alternate Names




History[edit]

In 1883 Clermont County began construction of a new county infirmary to house the elderly, orphans, and individuals with other mental and physical problems. The previous building had burned in 1877 and residents had been housed in temporary locations. The new infirmary was completed in 1885 at a cost of $40, 000. It had one hundred rooms and stood four stories high. The institution was expected to be self sufficient; all residents were required to work to the best of their ability on the farm on the infirmary's property. The Clermont County Infirmary operated until 1965. It was later used for county offices and razed in 2002.