Carroll County Poorhouse

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 22:02, 17 February 2012 by Squad546 (talk | contribs) (Created page with "{{infobox institution | name = Carroll County Poorhouse | image = | image_size = 250px | alt = | established = 1852 | construction_began = | opened = | closed = | demolished...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Carroll County Poorhouse
Established 1852
Current Status Demolished
Location Huntingdon, TN
Alternate Names




History[edit]

The poor farm, consisting of 134 acres, was purchased in 1852 from Thomas Butler. The buildings were improved in 1877 and later, by removing, the old log cabins and erecting in their stead neat frame cottages. The farm was enlarged in 1886, by the purchase from W. O. Davis of 104 acres of timber land adjoining it. The inmates of the poor asylum average about thirty in number, and appropriations are made by the county court for the support of about forty poor persons who reside with their friends throughout the county. The poor of Carroll County are well cared for."

From: The Goodspeed Publishing Co., History of Tennessee, 1886 History of Carroll County