Brandywine Sanatorium

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 22:29, 15 August 2016 by Squad546 (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Established 1907
Opened 1910
Closed 2015
Current Status Closed
Building Style Single Building
Location Wilmington, DE
Alternate Names
  • Emily P. Bissell Sanatorium
  • Emily P. Bissell Hospital



History[edit]

The original Brandywine Sanatorium was located in the Timiken Woods near Brandywine Creek) and had a capacity of eight beds. With the success of Emily Bissell's Christmas Seals, a new and larger facility was built in 1910 at a place called Hope Farm in MCH. By 1919 it had a capacity of 60 for white patients, while Edgewood Sanatorium across the road had room for 20 black patients. In 1955, Brandywine was renamed the Emily P. Bissell Sanatorium, and was changed to Emily P. Bissell Hospital in 1957. later it was used by the state as a long-term care facility licensed as a nursing home. in 2015 it was decided to close the facility to due declining need and extensive repairs needed.

Images[edit]