Binghamton State Hospital
|Binghamton State Hospital|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
|Architect(s)||Isaac G. Perry|
|Architecture Style||Gothic Revival|
|Alternate Names||Greater Binghamton Health Center (Current)
New York State Inebriate Asylum Binghamton Asylum for the Chronic Insane Binghamton State Hospital Binghamton Inebriate AsylumBinghamton Psychiatric Center
The New York State Inebriate Asylum, later known as Binghamton State Hospital, was the first institution designed and constructed to treat alcoholism as a mental disorder. Located in Binghamton, NY, its imposing Gothic Revival exterior was designed by New York architect Isaac G. Perry and construction was completed in 1864. In 1993 the main building was closed due to safety concerns. The asylum appears on both the state and national lists of Historic Places, but it is currently in a state of disrepair and is one of the most endangered historical places in the nation, according to the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The building was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1997.
In April, 2008, New York State's Legislature allocated $12.45 million for phase one of the Castle renovation.
- Drunkard's Refuge: The Lessons of the New York State Inebriate Asylum, by John W. Crowley and William L. White
Images of Binghampton State Hospital
Main Image Gallery: Binghampton State Hospital