Difference between revisions of "Battey State Hospital"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with '{{infobox institution | name = Battey State Hospital | image = Battey2.jpg | image_size = 250px | alt = | caption = | established = | construction_began = 1943 | construction_e…')
 
m
 
Line 8: Line 8:
 
| construction_began = 1943
 
| construction_began = 1943
 
| construction_ended =
 
| construction_ended =
| opened =
+
| opened = 1946
| closed =
+
| closed = 2011
 
| demolished =
 
| demolished =
 
| current_status = [[Active Institution|Active]]
 
| current_status = [[Active Institution|Active]]
 
| building_style = [[Cottage Planned Institutions|Cottage Plan]]
 
| building_style = [[Cottage Planned Institutions|Cottage Plan]]
 
| architect(s) =
 
| architect(s) =
| location =
+
| location = Rome, GA
 
| architecture_style =
 
| architecture_style =
 
| peak_patient_population =
 
| peak_patient_population =
| alternate_names =
+
| alternate_names =<br>
Northwest Georgia Regional Hospital  
+
*Battey General Hospital
 +
*Northwest Georgia Regional Hospital  
 
}}
 
}}
  
 +
==History==
 
Construction of Battey General Hospital started in March of 1943 to serve as a hospital for sick, wounded and disabled World War II servicemen. It was fully activated on September 1, 1943 with Col. D.B.Faust as its first executive officer. The hospital was named for Dr. Robert Battey of Rome Georgia, who was a nationally famed pioneer in the surgical treatment for ovarian cancer and who built a medical complex in downtown Rome.
 
Construction of Battey General Hospital started in March of 1943 to serve as a hospital for sick, wounded and disabled World War II servicemen. It was fully activated on September 1, 1943 with Col. D.B.Faust as its first executive officer. The hospital was named for Dr. Robert Battey of Rome Georgia, who was a nationally famed pioneer in the surgical treatment for ovarian cancer and who built a medical complex in downtown Rome.
  
-June 1946 _ the complex was transferred to the State of Georgia for a tuberculosis sanitorium. During it's peak when Battey General Hospital housed 2,000 tuberculosis patients.
+
*June 1946- The complex was transferred to the State of Georgia for a tuberculosis sanitorium. During it's peak when Battey General Hospital housed 2,000 tuberculosis patients.
  
-January 1971 _ several mentally retarded residents were transferred from Gracewood Hospital at Augusta, Georgia. In 1973 Battey General Hospital was renamed to Northwest Georgia Regional Hospital. Two years later, construction began on many of the red brick buildings now standing on the grounds to replace obsolete structures.
+
*January 1971- Several mentally retarded residents were transferred from Gracewood Hospital at Augusta, Georgia. In 1973 Battey General Hospital was renamed to Northwest Georgia Regional Hospital. Two years later, construction began on many of the red brick buildings now standing on the grounds to replace obsolete structures.
  
The mission to serve the citizens of Georgia has remained constant though the needs of those served have changed. Northwest closed its tuberculosis services in 1994. They presently provide acute adult mental health, developmental disability, and adolescent mental health/ developmental disability services.<ref>''Information from All Roads Lead to Rome'', by Roger Aycock</ref>
+
The mission to serve the citizens of Georgia has remained constant though the needs of those served have changed. Northwest closed its tuberculosis services in 1994. They later provided acute adult mental health, developmental disability, and adolescent mental health/ developmental disability services. Northwest Georgia Regional Hospital has been closed since the end of 2011 and the state is still weighing its options concerning the future of the 150-acre campus.
  
 +
==Images==
 
<gallery>
 
<gallery>
 
File:Battey.jpg
 
File:Battey.jpg
File:Tbaerial.jpg
+
File:GAbattey3.png
 
</gallery>
 
</gallery>
  

Latest revision as of 22:55, 6 November 2015

Battey State Hospital
Construction Began 1943
Opened 1946
Closed 2011
Current Status Active
Building Style Cottage Plan
Location Rome, GA
Alternate Names
  • Battey General Hospital
  • Northwest Georgia Regional Hospital



History[edit]

Construction of Battey General Hospital started in March of 1943 to serve as a hospital for sick, wounded and disabled World War II servicemen. It was fully activated on September 1, 1943 with Col. D.B.Faust as its first executive officer. The hospital was named for Dr. Robert Battey of Rome Georgia, who was a nationally famed pioneer in the surgical treatment for ovarian cancer and who built a medical complex in downtown Rome.

  • June 1946- The complex was transferred to the State of Georgia for a tuberculosis sanitorium. During it's peak when Battey General Hospital housed 2,000 tuberculosis patients.
  • January 1971- Several mentally retarded residents were transferred from Gracewood Hospital at Augusta, Georgia. In 1973 Battey General Hospital was renamed to Northwest Georgia Regional Hospital. Two years later, construction began on many of the red brick buildings now standing on the grounds to replace obsolete structures.

The mission to serve the citizens of Georgia has remained constant though the needs of those served have changed. Northwest closed its tuberculosis services in 1994. They later provided acute adult mental health, developmental disability, and adolescent mental health/ developmental disability services. Northwest Georgia Regional Hospital has been closed since the end of 2011 and the state is still weighing its options concerning the future of the 150-acre campus.

Images[edit]

References[edit]