Ulster County House

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Ulster County House
Established 1828
Opened 1829
Closed 1976
Demolished 1985
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Single Building
Location New Paltz, NY
Alternate Names
  • Ulster County Asylum


Between the years 1828 and 1976, the Ulster County Fairgrounds was the site of the Ulster County Poorhouse. A poorhouse was a tax-supported residential institution to which people were required to go if they could not support themselves without community assistance. Thousands of individuals, including the indigent, the destitute, the insane, the intemperate, transient farm workers, freed slaves, unemployed canal and aqueduct builders, "debauched" women, unwed mothers, the friendless, the elderly, the disabled and the sick, called this site their home.