St. Louis Industrial School
|St. Louis Mission School|
The St. Louis Mission School for Osage Indian girls was established 1887 by St. Kathrine Drexel and Bureau of Catholic Indian Affairs, 1/2 mile southwest of Main & Palmer in Pawhuska. The original wood-frame building burnt down in 1889 and was replaced by a four-story stone building in 1890.
In 1904 the boarding school had a documented attendance of 125 Osage girls. In 1905 the school also served as a "Day School for Half-Breeds and Whites" in the area as well as Osage girls.
The Mission School was operated by Franciscan sisters (1887-1915), Loretto sisters (1915-1942), and Blessed Sacrament sisters (1942-1949.)
Later, the buildings were razed and replaced with a low-income housing project.